Wednesday, November 14, 2007

SuperPost Wednesday

Well my blog readers, it's been a long while since I have posted, and for that I apologize. So let's start things out with a look back to the past. I am referring the the post I made about the Theory of Comedy, and the topic of pain to one another and the comedy that in sues. I think I gave examples before, but as they say, hindsight is 20-20, which is why I now see that it's not so much funny to people in the classical way of being funny, but that it's more of a nervous humor. Kind of like when you are put in a bad situation and you laugh a little, out of nervousness and fear for your life. It's also just a fascination I think we all have ingrained into our bodies. Look at history books, some of the biggest chapters/sections of the history books is on wars, battles, famines, etc. As humans we also tend to flourish as a society, when there is war or bad times, the United States in general. But I digress. A few the examples I found that have to do with how we find the danger or pain of others funny is found in a few more stand-up comedians. One of them is George Lopez. In his stand-up special, "Why you crying?" he brings up a time at some department store parking lot where a woman is backing up and is about to hit one of those concrete poles you see there. He then goes into the difference between Hispanics and Whites and their reaction to this situation. The Whites would go up to the person yelling, "Oh my god, is your rear sensors malfunctioning? You should take that to the dealership right away." If you have seen Mr. Lopez you know his impression of white preppy people, a kind of surfer yuppie mix, and it is actually quite funny. Now when he switches to the Hispanics, they are pulling other people over saying, "Look at this dumb ass. Quick, quick, get out your camera." He then goes to show the action of people laughing and taking a picture.

My next example is the always well known, but for some reason, the not always well liked Dane Cook. One of his jokes is about car wrecks and the fascination people have with them. The video explains everything you need to see about this example.




So in closing, this is only part one of what you will see tonight, and trust me, there will be more.

No comments: