Saturday, November 10, 2007

Wikipedia and potty words

This week I've found a witty little xkcd comic mocking the popularity of Wikipedia. Enjoy:
















I hate to say it but you may need to click on the image to see what the screen says. Or if your too lazy, it says "Foreplay" and to the left of it is the cute Wikipedia picture.
(


)
Again for those of you lazy types who did not follow the link to the actual comic, the title of this one is "Getting Out of Hand." And when you stop your mouse over the picture, that little manila box comes up saying "Wikipedia's role as brain-extension, while a little troubling, is also really cool."

There's no need for me to explain to our IQ:125+ readers the humor in the joke, but I must say it's rather pertinent. Just the other week, I found myself consulting Wikipedia for some new online humor sites, for a good laugh and a new post. In hindsight, that shure seems like a pretty useless idea, but I'll admit that I myself have taken to consulting Wikipedia for just about everything these days.

There's a lotta hype about whether or not Wikipedia is an acceptable research source for academic purposes. Hype which I feel no need to discuss, as Wikipedia is and has been my first source for both academic and extracurricular learning (those millions of contributors aren't writing all those articles for their own health). But rather, Randal Monroe has made me wonder if there are certain things that Wikipedia shouldn't be used for.

What happened to the days when we had to learn all these slang terms from our friends? When someone would throw the word "foreplay" in a sentence and toss it your way, making you feel like an idiot for not knowing what it is. You'd have to bullshit something or just come out and ask them what it meant. I suppose The Urban Dictionary would make me ask the same question.

I realize this is a very small portion of Wikipedia's use, and that to most people this probably doesn't matter in the least, but I always thought those ridiculously embarrassing childhood moments were somehow important to me in learning how to just suck up my pride and ask something. Perhaps it's good that those moments are now gone, and we just anonymously ask Wikipedia our questions, without fear of what it will think of us.

I apologize for this having nothing to do with the price of tea in China, and for the fact that my posts seem to be stripping every topic of it's humor. These days, the only things I'm finding really funny are those that make me think of things that are not funny.

So here's a simple T-mobile commercial on YouTube. No strings attached, but don't forget to notice the Pulp Fiction reference:

No comments: