Friday, October 12, 2007

I intend to live forever, or die trying

I know last time I said that violence isn't funny. Goes to show that the best of us must eat our words on occasion. I just watched Tom and Jerry. Yes, I was watching cartoon network. Only slightly ashamed to admit it. Hey, I don't judge you. Back up off me. So anyway, I decided that some violence is funny. Those cartoons by Don Herdzfeldt weren't funny. Pointless violence just doesn't do anything for me, but violence with a point does due to the reason that it is not pointless.
The episode I caught today started out in the usual way-Tom chases Jerry. Surprise! They do all sorts of fun stuff, like eating dynamite, getting hit with frying pans, and other such timeless antics. But here is where it got awesome. They ended up on a pool table, and Jerry dove into one of the pockets. Tom stuck his hand in after him and they came out another corner. This tomfoolery continued for a minute or so, at which point Tom started hitting the pool balls into the pockets. He never hit Jerry. Poor Tom. Swing and a miss.
Anyway, Jerry grabbed the bridge stick (thats the one with the pointy-crown type thing at the end) and threw it at Tom. Tom swallowed it and became long and skinny. Then Tom hit a line of balls at Jerry, which then chased him around the table like a train, defying all laws of physics. The whole cartoon does, but this in particular struck me as improbable. Then Jerry jumped over Tom, and the pool balls flew down Tom's throat, which extended and had six lumps in it.
There is more, but now I'm bored.
I just wanted to throw this out there for several reasons. First, I'm old school. Word to your mother. Don't forget it. Second, cartoon violence should be exactly that: cartoonish. The problem with Don Herdzfeldt's cartoons is that nothing was clever. It was like, "That guy got stabbed. Now he got shot. Done. Next?" With Tom and Jerry, the violence is crazy. It's like, "Tom just swallowed so much dynamite that he expanded to three times his size. Oh no, it's gonna blow! Quick Tom, burp it out! Aw, too late. Next time you'll get Jerry. Never give up dude. Reach for the stars." And yes, that is exactly what went through my mind, and because I generally say what I think, I said that. Call me sane now. Third, where did Tom and Jerry go? It was taken off the air when I was six or seven. Now it's back. I missed them so much. Where did they go? I just have this to say to whomever brought them back, "Thank you. Thank you. A thousand times thank you. Can you bring back the original Power Rangers? You know, the Mighty Morphin' ones. Not this new time traveler stuff. No good." If you just read this whole post, your IQ is probably below 125. If it wasn't, it is now. Go get a friend to read the next post to you. Peace out, and if you get a chance to drop an anvil on someone from on top of a cliff, do it. They'll be fine. Trust me.

No comments: