Tuesday, October 2, 2007

Movie Preview: Lars and the Real Girl

Anyone remember who Ryan Gosling is? Well I sure didn’t until I had to look him up on Wikipedia. For those of you who remembered who he was, congrats you get a cookie. For those of you who didn’t remember, he was the actor who starred alongside Rachel McAdams in The Notebook. (Don’t lie… you all know you’ve seen it) Well seeing as how he basically fell off the side of the earth after his performance in The Notebook, I was surprised to see his name come up again for an upcoming comedy.


Gosling plays the role of Lars Lidstrom in the upcoming movie Lars and the Real Girl. Lars is a shy guy who generally likes to keep to himself and not draw any attention. He has allowed his emotional problems keep him from having fun and enjoying his life. But after years of keeping to himself, he invites Bianca over, a girl that he met over the internet. Lars then introduces Bianca to his brother, Gus, and his brother’s wife, Karen. Everything sounds good right? A guy is breaking his old habits and finally opening up. But that’s not exactly the case…. Well Gus and Karen don’t exactly know what to say to Bianca and Lars, because well Bianca is a life size sex doll. Not knowing how to react to Lars believing that Bianca is a real person, Gus and Karen consult the family doctor, who explains that Lars created the delusion by himself, but she can’t figure out why. Since she doesn’t know why he created the delusion, so she tells Gus and Karen to play along with it.

Just the thought of a movie involving a sex doll makes me interested by the movie. People constantly make references about sex dolls in movies, but finally someone actually based the movie’s plot. I can’t wait to see this movie because of the very original plot although it is loosely based on the French movie Monique but I don’t understand French so it’s original to me. I feel like this is going to be one of those low budget movies that turns into a complete hit with the public.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Fell off the side of the earth? He was nominated for an oscar last year!

lowdiver said...

Well, I seriously didn't remember him, but I agree with you on this up coming movie. A story about a delusional intervert sounds pretty good to me, but I'll have to see a little more about it to be really interested. Like what some of the things that they do with Bianca, the picture I guess must be from the movie, so them taking a sex doll boling is a start.