Saturday, October 27, 2007

I like it old school.

About a week ago, I was reminiscing about my childhood with some friends. I have never felt so old in my life. I always thought I would wait until I began forgetting things before I tried to remember them. But I digress. The topic of childhood cartoons came up in this conversation. Some true classics were thrown out there, like Loony Toons, Road Runner, Thundercats, Spiderman, and so on. While these are all amazing in their own right, the best (in my opinion) is Pinky and the Brain.
What I have spent the last week doing is watching any Pinky and the Brain that I was able to get my hands on. Go ahead and take a gander at some of those. The difference between Pinky and the Brain and most of the other cartoons mentioned above is the age level content. I remember watching it as a kid. I understood the main plot, but some things escaped me. I still found it funny because two mice trying to take over the world and failing disastrously is amusing to me.
However, the cartoon is funny even now because of all the political and cultural references that escaped me as a child. In one episode, Brain founds a country called 'Brainania.' He goes to the US for a foreign aid check. Pinky points out that Branania is not a place, but Brain relies on the fact that no American is good at geography. This strikes a chord with me because my knowledge of the map is woefully flawed. He basically starts a war with the US, but wins because no one will admit they can't find Brainania on a map, and you can't go to war with a country if you can't find it. If only that had worked with Iran. (Please don't leave a comment about that, it was a joke and I couldn't care less about it. Much appreciated.) Also, Brain is discussing the terms of financial aid with the president(Bill Clinton at the time the episode was made), and Hilary Clinton takes over the negotiations, adding on the fact that the US needs a place to dump nuclear waste. When the deal is over, Mr Clinton says, "I don't know what you're talking about, but it sounds real smart. I like to be part of things." One again, political satire that was way over my head when I was seven.
I wish more shows were made like this. Real thought was put into this cartoon. It has attraction for kids in the form of Pinky, who is the epitome of the imbecile. It also has an appeal for a slightly older crowd in the witty satire, historical references (once Brain tried to be Napoleon), and the ever-popular poking fun at the current leader of the free world. Most shows, not even merely cartoon but all types of shows, have no real thought put into them. They try to be funny using weird voices or crossing over into taboo topics(albeit slightly). Its the same with Disney movies. The older ones have some thought put into them, with all sorts of hidden innuendo that is completely above any child, but every adult catches it right away. For anyone who is unsure of what I mean, watch Hercules. There are some many undercurrents that no child will catch, but anyone above the age of eighteen will laugh at.
I don't know why Pinky and the Brain stopped making new episodes, but I want somebody to bring it back. I like it old school.

2 comments:

Goggin DuGalle said...

I totally agree with you, there are very few shows or movies made these days that are not only funny for the young and the old but most importantly that have been made with effort and care. It makes me kind of sad...

NAME123 said...

I agree with you. I remember watching Pinky and the Brain too. Although I wasn't a big fan of the show, I can relate when your idea. Some cartoon these days are just annoying. And if you watch some of the animated movies closely, most are for adult humor rather than kids.