Saturday, October 13, 2007

They Couldn't Come Up With A Better Title Than Bee Movie?


What the hell is wrong with the world? When there is a movie about a bee suing the entire human race because they take so much honey, you know that there’s something clearly wrong. Granted that Bee Movie is a DreamWorks Animation SKG production, which has a very good history with animated movies such as the Shrek series and Over The Hedge. It appears that it has generated a lot of hype with its star studded cast which includes Jerry Seinfeld, Chris Rock, and Renee Zellweger among many other stars.


The basic plot of the movie circles around Barry Bee Benson (Seinfeld, also wouldn’t it make more sense if the initials were B.E.E.?), who has just graduated from college and has only one career choice in mind, honey (No, I’m not calling you honey). On his first trip out of the hive, Barry makes the big mistake of talking to a human, a florist name Vanessa (Zellweger). However by talking to Vanessa, Barry finds out that humans have been stealing and eating the bees honey for centuries. He then proceeds to sue the human race and wins the lawsuit, getting all of the honey back. But this victory comes at a price; it causes all the bees to lose their job and starts to kill the plant life.

Where do I even start? I’m kind of in shock that there is a movie about a bee suing humans for honey. The whole idea for this movie is just pointless. The whole plot just doesn’t sound funny at all, like I can’t put into words how bad this sounds. However in the end people will go see it because of the ridiculous cast. I mean there has to be something good about the movie if so many stars signed on for the movie, right? However there were other stars such as Uma Thurman and Robert Duvall who were attached to the project, but dropped out for unknown reasons. I guess we’ll see why on November 2.

2 comments:

Curiosity said...

I admit that I do enjoy seeing kids movies and Dreamworks has a very good reputation. But after reading your opinion of Bee Movie, I don't know if I'll waste the money to see it. Though, keep in mind that it is a children's movie and that it needs to fantastic (in a fantasy type way) for kids to love it.

Lucy in the Sky said...

I agree. Why couldn't they come up with a better title for the movie? I expected more out of Jerry Seinfeld. I know he's probably not in charge of the title, but he probably could have persuaded someone to come up with a more clever. Anyway, I doubt I'll see this movie after I read your review. I also like kid movies and DreamWorks usually puts out great movies but I don't know how I feel about Bee Movie. If nothing else, the title turns me off.