Friday, September 7, 2007

2 Guys Walk Into A Bar. The Third Guy Ducks...

As far as one liners go, I just don't think they come any better than that. I mean, you expect something to happen to those 2 guys once they get into the bar, but no! I tricked you, it was just 2 idiots who weren't watching where they were going. Unfortunately, that joke isn't funny, or so I've been told. I think I must have said it to almost every person I know, and no one ever seems to laugh. Apparently some people have rather "refined" taste in humor while I, on the other hand, am pretty easy to please. Most of what I'll be posting, could go under the category as "dumb humor," but for the purpose of progress, I'll ignore that category for the time being. We'll just say everything I show you falls under the "my kinda humor" category. That way I'll be able to transcend the stereotypes of online "dumb" humor in order to place it into other, more accepted categories.

My first idea was to make a list of the different types of comedy. This was a great idea when I first thought of it, because I could only think of 5 or 6 different genres. Unfortunately, the more I thought about it, the more I realized that there's just no way to assemble a quantified list of humor. But there certainly are types that I appreciate more than others. (For example, but not limited to) Satire is something you'll likely see me putting up: it's like an inside joke that I'm knowledgeable enough to understand. I'm also a big fan of those jokes that insult other people's intelligence. Again with the whole knowledgeable thing, its a great type of joke unless its at the expense of my own intelligence. But you win some and you lose some... On a seemingly unrelated note, I've discovered my love for the somewhat new "genre" of random humor over the past few years. I use the term genre loosely here, because its not that the jokes have no style, but rather the humor seems to be completely out of nowhere. That is to say you can't see the jokes coming because they don't usually follow an obvious or logical train of thought. This is something I plan on exploring further in the not-too-distant future, but for now here's a great example of what I'm talking about to tide you over.

But to get back to my original point: certain things make certain people laugh, and certain things I find hilarious may at times leave you grinless. I'm not entirely sure why, but I'm hoping that you can help me by simply responding to the jokes I put up. Correct me if you think something's not funny, and why not. Be sure to include where it is you've lost your sense of humor as well...

3 comments:

elly268 said...

I thought your joke was funny. no worries. you wrote a lot. your writing style made me think of xena the warrior princess. I don't know why.

voiceofreason said...

I read that joke in middle school, and it took me like five minutes to get it (yes, I am blonde), and it was one of the funniest things I have ever seen/heard. You aren't alone. More people need to appreciate the simple humor of life, and not be so serious all the time.

Insignificant Wrangler said...

I want to try and drill a watermelon, but I'm pretty sure that's the kind of behavior that would get my wife to leave me.