Saturday, September 29, 2007

Your Wish Is My Command!

Well, Sarcastic Lobster, you wanted more cartoons like the Rejected Cartoons? You're in luck! I happen to be a huge fan myself, and I've spent some time finding others cartoons just like it. The creator's name is Don Hertzfeldt, and he's written tons of short videos that are all over YouTube. The Rejected Cartoons video is, by far, the most popular, but you can find plenty more with a little searching. All of them have a similar style of grotesque injury befalling a poor innocent character, but it's somehow done in a hilarious way.

You pointed out that the cartoons are random, because one cartoon has absolutely nothing to do with the next. I'll give you that. Most of Don's videos seem very random at first, but you'll notice that all of them do follow a theme, however loosely or unimportant that theme is. For rejected cartoons, I think that random was what he wanted for all the different "Family Learning Channel" fillers. This first video won't be so random, as we follow our hero through the trials and tribulations of romance:



You noticed the opening said it was "A Bitter Film." Like I said, injury is Don's angle. It's sort of slap-stick humor with a twist. While normal slap-stick tries to be tactful about its characters' injuries, Don is very blunt about it. He'll just have the guy get his eyes pulled out, or his side ripped off and beaten against his head till he passes out. The next video shows what I mean about how to the point he is (the point being injury):



Billy's Balloon spends the entire time whooping Billy's ass.

Now you can find a ton of other videos like this on YouTube by searching "Don Hertzfeldt" or checking out his website, but I want to show this one last video because it is so different from most of Don's work. In this one, named "Lily an Jim," two characters are set up on a blind date, and have a completely awkward and horrible night (watch out this is long, but its worth it):



When I first watched this, I was shocked to find the only violence was on the TV for a few moments. After watching the rest, I decided that the downer of a film still follows Don's "Bitter Film" genre, but in a much different way. The normal Don violence being only on the TV also made me wonder if his other videos are a sort of commentary on television these days. Maybe, maybe not. All I know is that every single one of these videos make me laugh in a completely different way than other comedy, which is what makes Don Hertzfeldt so great.

No comments: