Saturday, September 15, 2007

Noah, you will need a big room for poo.

Hey! Look over here! Yeah, take some time out of your busy day to laugh a little. Lets talk about a man named Jeff Dunham. First off, I would like to point out that he is an extremely talented ventriloquist and comedian. Actually, he isn’t that funny, but his puppets are. He has a multitude of dummies, but my personal favorite is Walter, an old grumpy man. Because Jeff is only technically the one speaking, he can get away with crossing more lines. He manages to give each puppet its own personality; each puppet is a person in their own right.

In this video (courtesy of youtube), you will meet Walter. This is just a compilation of short clips from different shows. I will post a warning here: WARNING – VIDEO CLIP CONTAINS LANGUAGE THAT MAY BE OFFENSIVE TO WHITE PEOPLE OR PEOPLE WHO DON’T LIKE PROFANITY. There. My part’s done.

What is it about a piece of wood that insults people that we all find so funny? The first time I saw this clip, I fell off my chair and rolled on the floor. Maybe the fact that a piece of wood is speaking and has a personality is part of the reason I love this guy. There is something more than that. Because Jeff is speaking through someone else, he can say whatever he feels like without fear of repercussion. He can say whatever he feels like, insult anyone right to their face, and nobody thinks any worse of him. First, since he’s funny, he can get away with more. But in the clip, people get mad at Walter instead of Jeff. If I walked around with a dummy, would I be able to say whatever I felt like? That would be awesome.

No comments: